10 March 2008

50. Middle-Aged Female Musician and English Teacher

I'd been invited to ride in the Obama campaign bus. I've done a little freelance journalism in my time, so I was taking notes as if I was interviewing him. The Senator was actually driving the bus. He was wearing his usual dark suit and was chatting very informally with me, was very polite and amiable. The specific quote I remember him saying was this: Mary, you're a very busy person. How do you balance it all? How do you recharge your battery? He asked this in a very respectful-of-the-working class way, and we had a rather mundane but pleasant conversation.

I remember him spinning the big steering wheel, and casting his clear gaze across the horizon as he drove. I woke with the impression that he could win.

No comments: